We are an inclusive community of individuals passionately dedicated to creating a vibrant and healthy future through earth care, people care, and fair share; renewing and educating ourselves and our surrounding community; and facilitating positive cultural change to bring balance, harmony, and peace.
In an urban setting we will live in harmony with the earth and with each other through green building, renewable energy, shared governance, and permaculture principles. We will facilitate positive cultural change by collaborating to manifest a healthy local food supply, a sustainable business incubator, and centers for education, wellness, and creative arts.
- Create organic farms, orchards, community gardens and permaculture food forests.
- Build homes and community buildings using sustainable architecture and green building techniques.
- Use the property as a demonstration site and a place to hold classes, workshops and retreats.
- Utilize and demonstrate the use of sustainable/renewable energy sources.
Boise EcoVillage Project, Community Goals (drafted summer 2014)
Borrowed from EcoVillage at Ithaca with revisions by the Core Council
Residential Neighborhood Guidelines
– To foster the formation of a sense of community, both within neighborhoods and within the Village as a whole, while maintaining residents’ privacy.
– To support sustainable relationships among residents.
– To establish a sustainable relationship between human habitation on the land and the living matrix of plant and animal life.
– To encourage pedestrian and human powered vehicle circulation, and to restrict vehicle access within the community.
– To maximize open space
– To establish an on-site commercial center
– To develop on-site employment opportunities for village residents
– To create a dynamic, village atmosphere through activity, people and movement.
– To create a gateway to the village which will create a memorable impression for all visitors
– To provide an introduction to the EcoVillage for casual visitors, and a location for workshop participants to check-in.
– To provide a low-key social space for residents and employees.
– To create a hospitable, aesthetic, and calming mood.
– Includes informational materials, map, community model, videos, and library.
– Includes some office space and meeting rooms for circle meetings.
EcoVillage Education and Research Center
– To serve as a focal point for teaching about sustainability in all its aspects.
– To provide a source of inspiration for people who would like to replicate the model of an EcoVillage.
– To support educational programs and develop community partnerships
– To support research activities that are aligned with our vision and mission.
– To use online media for educational purposes and to connect community with resources.
– Facilities will be built in phases as resources become available.
– To produce a substantial part of the food for the ecovillage members on-site
– To develop, demonstrate, and teach sustainable technologies and methods, including organic farming, minimal use of fossil fuels, and building long term soil fertility.
– To foster economic vitality and affordability by providing livelihood for people and by providing affordable food.
– To foster native natural systems and species.
– To encourage community involvement by being a focal point of community activities and by raising people’s awareness of their ties to the land.
Transportation and Circulation Guidelines
– To encourage pedestrian and bicycle circulation.
– To reduce the impact of motor vehicles.
– To encourage the creative use of human powered vehicles
Natural Resources and Recreation Guidelines
– To preserve, restore, and create natural areas to the greatest extent practical, including wetlands and woods.
– To foster non-human life and vitality and diversity.
– To provide a rich interface for pedestrian interaction with the natural areas.
– To set aside wildlife habitat preserves where possible.
– To provide natural play areas near residential areas.
– To source our resources locally whenever possible.
– To create seasonal outdoor recreation opportunities.
Water and Wastewater Guidelines
– To match a diversity of supplies with appropriate uses.
– To create systems in which as much water as possible will be recycled on-site.
– To minimize water use through appropriate conservation practices.
– To design water systems for this relatively dry climate.
– To raise consciousness around water use and water conservation practices.
Solid Waste Guidelines
– To reduce the amount of solid waste generated on-site.
– To promote re-use, repurposing, recycling and composting.
– To raise consciousness around consumption and waste creation.
– To demonstrate a comprehensive approach to more sustainable energy use.
– To reduce energy use through efficient transportation systems.
– To use appropriate conservation practices to minimize energy use.
– To use the most environmentally benign sources, particularly renewable solar, wind and biomass.
– To maintain an acceptable level of comfort and convenience.
– To raise consciousness around energy use.
Building Materials Guidelines
– To be a demonstration site for alternative building methods
– To select materials which are environmentally sound while not prohibitive in cost, and recycle, reuse, and repurpose materials whenever possible.
– To source building materials locally whenever possible.
– To use non-toxic building materials.
– To create a living and working community open to people from all walks of life.
– To create opportunities for community connection and collaborative education.
– To create opportunities for residents to contribute to the community in meaningful ways.
– To provide opportunities for residents to develop their communication and conflict resolution skills.
– To support residents through all stages of life.
– To be a safe place for all residents.
– To be a place for children to grow and thrive through community support and educational opportunities.
– To support & promote optimal physical/emotional/spiritual health for all residents within the community
– To support wellness providers and products in our local community
– Establish an on-site wellness center
Personal Growth Guidelines
– To promote self-esteem and self-actualization for all community members
– To promote communications that support good relationships and effective decision-making within the community
– To work towards effective conflict resolution within our community and to be a model for the wider community
– The community commits to safeguarding the well-being of children and supporting parents in conscious, loving parenting.
– Parents and other adults work together to discuss child-related issues, reflecting the community’s commitment to good communication and conflict resolution skills.
– To respect the privacy of people’s homes and personal lives, and to respect that each person sets the boundary for his/her personal space.
– To encourage and support members to consciously balance individual, family and community life.